Can I perform OCR on my scans?

Frequently asked questions

Postby droid scan dev » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:31 am

Q:

A:

Yes. OCR is performed by using the "Share" feature and one of three OCR helpers:

1. To perform OCR without installing any additional software, use the "Share" feature in the scan viewer to share your scan as a JPEG. From the menu that appears, select "OCR (Google Docs)." Droid Scan will then step through the process of uploading the scan to Google Docs, where optical character recognition will be performed. This is a Pro-only feature.

2. OCR can also be performed by Evernote. This requires installing the Evernote Android app and using the "Share" feature in Droid Scan, as before, but selecting "Evernote" in the menu that appears.

3. OCR can also be performed by Google Goggles (Android 2+ only). This requires installing the Google Goggles Android app, and selecting Goggles from the "Share" menu.
droid scan dev

Re: Can I perform OCR on my scans?

Postby nicw » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:09 am

Hello,
I have purchased your software and shared a JPG scan with evernote for OCR purposes.
However there was no OCR performed on the image, it was just received as a JPG by evernote.
Did I miss something / do something wrong as this feature didn't seem to work for me, which is why I purchased it ?
I tested the image on google docs and the OCR did work.
Can you advise what the actual situation is with Evernote please.
Thanks,
Nic
nicw

Postby droid scan dev » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:28 am

The results of performing OCR are stored on Evernote servers. If you use the Evernote search feature to find scans, you will discover that the text of your scans is searchable.
droid scan dev

Postby nicw » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:04 am

Aha! - so its not like OCR with google docs where you get a text file. Instead the image content is searchable.
That actually makes more sense to do it that way as its a note taking app, just is not clear in the description.

So for IMAGE > TXT OCR - use google docs (or goggles)
For IMAGE content indexing (note taking) - use Evernote

Got it!

Thanks,
Nic
nicw

Return to FAQ