Scaled down pages

This is the place for anyone to post. Please keep the discussion on topic.

Scaled down pages

Postby ordaf » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:12 pm

I am using Droid Scan Upgrade and use it to scan and convert to pdf of A4 size (europe).
Everything is working fine, but the scanned dokument is scalled down by the pdf creation.

let me explain:
When converting to a pdf file, the scanned document are not filling the PDF page (they are centered on the page, with quite a large white border). Depending on the "guessed document form factor" (letter, legal, etc..) it seems that the border size is sometime smaller, sometime larger. I did not find a way to influence it in order to supress it or to reduce the border to a minimum.

Converting a document to a pdf should by default not add any border to the document (only a border in one direction if the form factor of the scanned document is different from the form factor of the output pdf).

I hope there is a way to fix this (standard pdf creation with no "white border" in a future release. BR.
ordaf

Re: Post general comments here

Postby droid scan dev » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:37 pm

This is the expected behavior. The PDF writer is not inserting borders or margins, it simply has a print quality feature that scales the scan down if it does not have sufficient resolution to fill the page and still meet the minimum pixels per inch constraint.

To fill the entire page, convert the scan at a higher resolution, and/or capture as many pixels as possible by putting the scan close to the camera.
droid scan dev

Re: Scaled down pages

Postby ordaf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:56 pm

Thank you for your explanation. I understand the logic and found the "best" parameters for my A4 documents scans. I changed the scan resolution to "ultra" and I changed the camera setting to (2592 x 1952 pixel 4:3 size). With these parameters I get an output pdf with only a small white border of about 5 mm. I can live with that. But I will have to find completely different parameters for my scan of business cards, because I do not want a business card to fill a whole A4 paper.

This leads me to the next suggestion. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Usually people scanning documents will want to have the image of the scanned documet with a size factor of 1:1 in the output pdf. The size of the output pdf beeing defined in the parameters of Droidscan. Making a pdf with the scanned document having a 1:1 size factor is not possible. Only by trial and error with the parameters called "scan resolution" it is possible to influence/change the size of the output image. Therefore I would suggest an other aproach. Instead of defining the parameter scan resolution one could enter the size of the scanned document (width or length) and Droidscan would then calculate the "scan resolution" necessary to have the image in the output pdf matching 1:1 the size of the scanned document. If the resolution of the scan is not sufficient for that (eg. because the camera resolution was set to low, or because the picture is only filling a small part of the area then Droidscan could warn/inform the user. I think that could be a unique feature of Droidscan to have 1:1 size relation betwenn the scanned original document and the document in the generated pdf. BR.
ordaf

Postby droid scan dev » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:25 pm

It's a pretty good proposal. In the meantime the desired results can be achieved by using the current design with some rules of thumb in mind:

1 - Use the "Low" resolution setting to create a scan for simple visual reference or to share quickly via email; the use case here is Droid Scan as a substitute for jotting down a quick note (human readable but not machine readable).

2 - Use the "Medium" resolution setting for a business card or other small document; this setting has enough detail for optical character recognition.

3 - Use the "High" or "Ultra" resolution setting for a full page document that will be printed out. Of course the camera app must also be set to a sufficiently high resolution.

With respect to printing business cards, I don't print them actual size because not every document that is auto-sensed as having the shape of a business card actually is one, but it's a feature that could be added.
droid scan dev

Postby UncleMike » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:35 am

I only installed DroidScan last week, and quickly bought the upgrade when I saw the great deal available - full function for $2.99. Unfortunately I was sorely disappointed by this issue, and in the brief 24-hour refund window offered by the Android Market, I uninstalled and refunded the upgrade.

Reproducing a document at its original size seems like an obvious goal for a scanning application. According to a post above:
The PDF writer is not inserting borders or margins, it simply has a print quality feature that scales the scan down if it does not have sufficient resolution to fill the page and still meet the minimum pixels per inch constraint.

With DroidScan set to use a scan resolution of Ultra on my Motorola Droid, I was unable to scan an 8.5" x 11" page and have DroidScan generate a full size image in the PDF file. Allowing for a 10% margin around the document in the original image, the image of the document should still have a resolution of over 200 pixels per inch when using a 5MP camera. How many pixels per inch are required by the PDF writer? Can this requirement be affected by DroidScan?

Seeing that the special price for full function is available for another 9+ hours, I'm debating whether or not I should re-purchase the upgrade, so I'm hoping to get some indication that this issue will be resolved in an update in the near future.
UncleMike

Postby droid scan dev » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:23 am

This issue has been raised before and we have some code in testing that addresses it. For a potential buyer who is hesitating only for this reason, it's safe to say they should go ahead and make a purchase while the sale price is in effect.

UncleMike wrote:Seeing that the special price for full function is available for another 9+ hours, I'm debating whether or not I should re-purchase the upgrade, so I'm hoping to get some indication that this issue will be resolved in an update in the near future.
droid scan dev

Return to Open forum